By Andrew Lintott
Read Online or Download Cicero as Evidence: A Historian's Companion PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Freundschaft ist ein Phänomen aller Epochen und Kulturen, unterliegtdabei aberdem permanenten Wandel dessen, was once unter dieser Beziehung verstanden und wie sie praktiziert wird. Für die höfische Epik des Hochmittelalters ist vor allem die Liebe untersucht, Freundschaft aber nur ausschnitthaft betrachtet worden.
On the middle of Petrarch's imaginative and prescient, saying a brand new method of seeing the area, used to be the person, a feeling of the self that will someday develop into the heart of modernity to boot. This self, notwithstanding, looked to be fragmented in Petrarch's paintings, divided one of the worlds of philosophy, religion, and love of the classics, politics, paintings, and faith, of Italy, France, Greece, and Rome.
Satirists are social critics, yet also they are items of society. Horace, Persius, and Juvenal, the verse satirists of historical Rome, take advantage of this double id to supply their colourful commentaries on social lifestyles and behaviour. In a clean comparative examine that mixes literary and cultural research, Catherine Keane finds how the satirists create this type of vibrant and incisive portrayal of the Roman social global.
Those 13 essays mix classical students' curiosity in theatrical construction with a becoming interdisciplinary inquiry into the city contexts of literary creation. Taking as their departure aspect the once a year comedian competitions on the Athenian dramatic gala's, the members research how the polis--as a spot, a political entity, a particular social association, and a collection of ideological representations--was enacted on degree from the center of the 5th century B.
- Mediterranean Identities in the Premodern Era: Entrepôts, Islands, Empires (Transculturalisms, 1400–1700)
- Sexualität und Jungfräulichkeit in der Legende "Von der heiligen Margareta": Tabus in der Literatur des Mittelalters (German Edition)
- Becoming a Poet in Anglo-Saxon England (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- Forms of Astonishment: Greek Myths of Metamorphosis
- Historische Narratologie - Mediävistische Perspektiven (Trends in Medieval Philology) (German Edition)
- Medievalist Comics and the American Century
Additional info for Cicero as Evidence: A Historian's Companion
Cicero as Evidence: A Historian's Companion by Andrew Lintott